Archive

Allie Is Wired - The Entertainment Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Allie Is Wired - The Entertainment Blog


Wired Exclusive: Brianna Tatiana Leaves Maloof Music

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 01:17 AM PST

Brianna Tatiana was signed with Maloof Music, the same label that handles Ali Lohan.

Last Thursday, Brianna walked out on her contract with Maloof, accusing the company of “extremely unorthodox business practices and lies.

Brianna Tatiana - Colors of a Girl

First Listen - Brianna Tatiana “The Drama”

[See post to listen to audio]

Allie: Tell us what happened with Maloof Music. When did you sign with them, what did they do - what did they not do?

Brianna: I signed with Maloof Music in early 2008. I had contacted all of the major record labels as well as some independent labels, as I knew it was time to get going with my music, but hadn’t received any offers to my liking. Finally, I flew to The Palms in Vegas and met with the team at Maloof. My father was with me, and they presented us with a contract - which was thrilling - however, there were a LOT of problems. Thankfully we managed to sort them out.

As time went by I recorded and recorded, constantly asking them when promotion for my music was going to start. The answer was always “soon.” The real answer was “never.” Never once did they keep a single promise… not once.

After a long period of not hearing from a single person, I received a phone call and was told that it was time to release the single, my single cover’s photo was ready to go, and their graphic designer was on it. I said no - I wanted the graphic designer I hired to do the cover. After what felt like pulling teeth, they obliged.

Well, the picture I received, believe it or not, was of a British musician who looked similarly to me. They made an under the table deal to use her image as mine, no questions asked. I immediately called Maloof and threw a fit. I was eventually told if I didn’t want to release the single, I could leave Maloof. I was terrified to leave my record label. I was depending on them for a successful musical career. Stupidly of me, I agreed to use the picture. It wasn’t released to a wide audience at all, but the people who did see it immediately recognized this British individual and accused ME of pretending to be her; of stealing her photo. I was mortified. I tried to put it behind me, as my single “Invisible” was set to be released that week. Well, the single came out, however, I wasn’t singing it. They released the demo version, sung by a friend of mine named Alexa, instead of MY version. Mortified - again. That’s when I walked. No more Maloof. It was, overall, a horrific experience that nearly drove me out of the music industry.

Allie: Do you think there will be any ramifications as a result of walking out of your contract, or do they even care?

Brianna: There will definitely be ramifications. I’m now releasing my album, “Colors of a Girl,” independently. I’m sure sales won’t be nearly as high. Promotion won’t be nearly as widespread as it could have been. Access to great producers and songwriters is much more difficult now. Yes, definite ramifications.

Allie: When I first heard your music, my initial thought was Alicia Keys. Who have you been compared to musically?

Brianna: Wow, thank you very much! I love Alicia Keys, she’s a huge inspiration. Most of the time I’m compared to JoJo, actually. I’ve been compared to Christina Aguilera (another out-of-this-world honor), Britney Spears, and even Norah Jones. I won’t name the negative comparisons (laughs).

Allie: Who writes your songs? What inspires the lyrics?

Brianna: I actually write all of my music, sometimes alone and sometimes with professional songwriters. I’ve worked with some amazing people, including Kara DioGuardi, Lady GaGa, Adam Bertrand, and Ryan Tedder. It’s been unbelievable.

Read the rest of the interview, after the jump!

Allie: What inspires you to do what you do?

Brianna: What inspires me… oh gosh. Everything! Life! It all depends, sometimes I’ll be in the middle of a conversation and get an idea for a song. Other times it takes time, and I have to sit and wait for it to come. I’ve even woken up in the middle of the night several times to write down ideas inspired by dreams. I think all songwriters tend to write about their life experiences, though.

I’m definitely inspired to do what I do by my love of music, my love of acting, my love of modeling and all things photography, and the desire to reach other people - whether that be through songs, movies, or photos. If I can change even one life for the better, it’s all worth it.

Allie: How long have you been singing?

Brianna: I’ve been told I’ve been singing since I was four. I remember I got a Barbie karaoke machine and sung Mariah Carey’s “Hero.” My mom tells me everyone was blown away. I’m just like, “seriously? ‘Hero,’ at FOUR? Wow, go me!” (laughs again)

Allie: I’ve noticed that you’ve dabbled in acting, is this something that you want to continue to pursue as well?

Brianna: Acting is definitely a passion and something I want to pursue. I was first on film when I was 15, for MTV’s “My Super Sweet Sixteen.” That wasn’t such a great experience, so I dropped out of the acting scene for a while. However, I recently was cast as one of the female leads in Dreamworks’ “The Ring Three,” which is so exciting, because I loved the first two movies. I’ll also be appearing in an upcoming episode of The CW’s “The Beautiful Life,” which is actually airing on YouTube now!

Allie: What’s next for you?

Brianna: What’s next for me… well, I just shot a campaign for Stuart Weitzman, and I’ve been hired to shoot another in the coming months. Two films, “Nonstop” and “Bleachers” are coming. “Nonstop” is great; it’s about a flight that’s intercepted mid-trip by aliens. “Bleachers” is a comedy. But, of course, the main focus is the music! “Colors of a Girl” is set to come out by 2010 or very, very shortly thereafter, along with single releases. I’m sure there’s plenty of modeling in my future as well, that just sort of comes in waves all of the sudden.

Brianna has basked in the public spotlight since birth - her father is one of the country’s top attorneys, Howard Weitzman. Mr. Weitzman has worked for clients such as O.J. Simpson and Paris Hilton.

Brianna Tatiana Official Website



Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Theme By:GosuBlogger and Araba Modelleri .